Two-year-old loses feet in mowing accident, underscoring risks

Two-year-old loses feet in mowing accident, underscoring risks

A mowing accident in Florida in which a two-year-old lost both her feet tragically underscores the dangers posed by powerful lawn equipment. “The energy transferred by a typical lawn mower blade is equivalent to being shot in the hand with a .357 Magnum pistol,” says the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, whose doctors see many such injuries. “In addition, a lawn mower can eject a piece of metal or wood up to 100 miles per hour.”

According to news reports, … (read more)

Avoid generator risks by following these safety tips

Avoid generator risks by following these safety tips

A good generator can get you through a power outage but it also poses safety hazards of its own including carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or electrocution and the risk of fire. Every year, people die in incidents related to portable generator use, reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Most of the incidents involve CO poisoning from generators used indoors or in partially-enclosed spaces. Here’s how to stay safe, with tips from the CPSC.

Carbon monoxide hazards

Never use a … (read more)